When I retired as a humanist celebrant I thought I'd stop writing this blog, but my fascination with all things death-related prompted more posts. They're just written from a slightly different perspective, that's all. Oh, and I still do the odd one, by special request.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cultural attitudes

Attitudes to death, dying and bereavement vary from community to community, country to country. Grief is the same wherever you are, though how it's displayed or perceived varies according to social or cultural conventions, or the lack of them. In Britain, some people make "grieving" a full-time occupation (Queen Victoria did this). It's all part of the victim culture that prevails in affluent Britain. Like "counselling" and post-traumatic stress disorder, this is an alien concept to the majority who live in countries where death and dying through disease, conflict and corruption are everyday occurrences.

Nathan's just written a blog entry about attitudes to death in Cambodia.
For those who don't know me, Nathan's my son.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Margaret,I found Nathan's article on attitudes to death in Cambodia very interesting.Could you please tell me what nationality Nathan is?I am going to quote his work for a course I am doing .Many thanks.Alice.

Margaret Nelson said...

Nathan's my son, and we're British. His Big Wide World blog might interest you.